My daughter asked me to make gift card holders for Teacher Appreciation Week. I chose Picked For You as my stamp set (gee, I wish they hadn't retired this set! It's great for teachers! You can still get it through May 24). My card design was inspired by another demonstrator's card (Rosanne Mulhern) and you can check out her post here. I made mine different in almost all ways except the cutting and design of the card.
It looks complicated but really is not.
Here are all the details:
- The card base starts with Whisper White Thick 5-1/2" x 11". Score on the long side at 2-1/2" and 6-3/4" and then at 2-3/4" on the short side up to the 6-3/4" score line. That will create an A2 card that will fit in regular envelopes.
- Cut on the 2-3/4" line to remove the top part of the card--stop at the 6-3/4" line.
- Fold that front panel over to form a gift card pocket.
- Cut Lemon Lime Twist cardstock at 5-3/8" x 4-1/8" for the main part of the card. Cut 2 pieces of Lemon Lime Twist at 4-1/8" x 2-5/8" for the small front piece and the piece for the gift card pocket.
- Cut Poppy Parade cardstock at 5-1/4" x 4"; then cut a piece 4" x 2-1/2" for the front and a piece 2-3/8" x 2-5/8" for the gift card pocket
- Cut the Gingham Gala paper 5-1/8" x 3-7/8"; cut a second piece at 2-1/8" x 2-3/8"
- Using the Pocket Framelits die cut a pocket out of Crumb Cake. Emboss that pocket using the Basket Weave Embossing Folder.
- On Whisper White Card stock stamp the apples--2 red using Poppy Parade ink and 2 Green using Lemon Lime Twist ink. Stamp the stems using Early Espresso.
Now for some information on using those apple stamps. There are 3 stamps that you use. They are photopolymer so easy to line up. They are also numbered on the acetate stamp sheet so that you know in what order to use. For some of these, I stamped them twice to get the look I wanted. Practice with these stamps first so that you can get the look you want. And if you don't line them up exactly, just take a little paint brush and some water and smooth out the lines. I also used some Wink of Stella on the apples in areas I thought would naturally shine. I then fussy-cut the apples leaving a small border.
For the front sentiment, I stamped in Poppy Parade on Whisper White and die cut using the smallest narrow Stitched Rectangle dies.
For the inside sentiment, I stamped the sentiments in both Poppy Parade and Lemon Lime Twist on Whisper White and die cut using the next to the largest of the ovals in the Stitched Shapes dies. I backed that with a scallop oval from the Layering Ovals dies.
Putting the front together: I adhered the embossed pocket to the front of the card and then trimmed off the top that showed over the top edge. I used my Fast Fuse (you can use whatever adhesive works best for you!) to adhere the red apples to the front and then popped up the green apple using dimensionals. I added the front sentiment using both snail on the left side and a mini dimensional on the right.
For the gift card pocket: Put the Poppy Parade piece and the gingham paper on the inside flap. Using a 1-inch circle punch, cut out a notch. Add adhesive to the edges of the fold-over piece to create the pocket. I then added a second green apple to that pocket.
With all the layers, this card is heavier than most so you might not want to mail it. If you do mail, then you will need additional postage.
Host Code for all orders below $150